One of the most important goals we have here on the OtaKast Radio Network is to bring something to the reader’s attention that may have been overlooked. It’s one thing to follow the top stories and headlines, which we’ve covered too, but it’s another to be able to get some insight on things of the past, that may have been taken for granted. One of those things, in my opinion, is the quality of animation that Studio Ghibli has released for the past 27 years.
Over the course of December, I plan on highlighting some of studio co-founder, Hayao Miyazaki’s films. One common thread the Miyazaki films tend to share? There always seems to be a warmth that the movies give off when viewed, and the features lend themselves well to being watched with family. So in the spirit of the holidays and as a tribute to Mr. Miyazaki, my plan is to revisit and admire some of his works. My hope is that you’ll follow along with me as we take a look back at what makes these animated features so special, and why Miyazaki (as well as Studio Ghibli) are so highly respected in the filming industry. Let’s have some fun with this! Below is a poll featuring some of Miyazaki’s more popular films, take the time to vote for the one you enjoy the most!
- Studio Ghibli’s Newest Is A Beautiful, Heart-Wrenching Film (kotaku.com.au)
- Hayao Miyazaki out of retirement, again (theguardian.com)
- Hayao Miyazaki reportedly working on new manga after announcing retirement from directing anime (japandailypress.com)
- A New Trailer for Hayao Miyazaki’s THE WIND RISES (nerdist.com)
- Maserati Ghibli set to be company’s first diesel (reviews.cnet.com)
- First glimpse of Hayao Miyazaki’s new samurai manga (robot6.comicbookresources.com)
- Comics A.M. – Hayao Miyazaki Is Drawing A Samurai Manga (robot6.comicbookresources.com)